1. The weather. What’s that Guy Hagi? It’s a sunny day in the mid 80’s with a slight chance of rain? That’s the weather report nine times out of ten, and it’s amazing.
2. Slippahs not heels. We wear our flip flops just about everywhere. If you’re going to the movies or on a date you might bust out your “fancy” slippers, you know the ones that aren’t covered in sand or mud.
3. Throw a pareau on top of your swimsuit and you can go just about anywhere. Grocery store, out to eat, wherever. As long as your hair is still wet and you’re within a 10-mile radius of the beach, people won’t even notice.
5. The beach. Whenever I see lists of the Best Beaches in the world, Hawaii’s listed at least twice. Want white sand and clear blue water? We’ve got it.
7. Not knowing what box to choose under ethnicity. We are truly a melting pot, and that means we identify with nearly every country in the world. Ask the average local person what their ethnic background is and you’ll get an earful.
8. Hawaiian Time. No need rush. We live on an island. Wherever you’re trying to go, you’ll get there eventually.
9. Adventures all day every day. On the Big Island alone you can snorkel, surf, snowboard, go horseback riding, hike through a valley, a rainforest, or near a volcano - all in one day. There’s no end to outdoor activities!